1/18/2009

Mission Sanitation

This article and pictures from the BBC news website discussed a recent UN conference where a group of Indian women sanitation workers were asked to be honored for their work by participating in a fashion show in NY as models (I believe just for the day). I have conflicting thoughts on this topic and was looking for some different points of view.



I am uncomfortable with this because to be a model is such a western aspiration, and not really compatible with the full range of women's achievements. This is a great step for these women to see other parts of life, however superficial it may be, but does anyone else feel like there could have been better ways to increase awareness or help the situation of these women?
Thanks for your comments!





2 comments:

  1. Wow, I shortly skimmed the article and I think its okay that the women were honored at a fashion show but I kinda think its funny that they helped make some of the dresses which I hope they get compensated for.
    I understand where the women are coming from when they say they feel like humans now. Imagine having to clean up excrement...not even like dog ca-ca but totally random human strangers fecal matter. And having had such a demeaning title as "Untouchables" and not in the cool hardcore way, its nice to feel that people actually acknowledge them as fellow human beings.
    Good for them. I just think it should be outlawed in all parts of India. Its disgusting and unhealthy...ew.
    I think the whole modeling thing was a pretty good thing because you look at a model and you think-well you are supposed to think-perfection and flawless beauty. Being there with them was a HUGE step for them. Something that even some Americans dream of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting topic. On the one hand I agree that modeling is such a Western ideal, and it really does seem almost offensive to their beliefs, but on the other hand I also agree that it had to be uplifting to go from shoveling fecal matter to being honored as a beautiful woman.
    It is most striking to me that Americas idea of honoring a woman is to make her a model. Like the only place where a woman could feel good about herself is on a runway?

    ReplyDelete