2/11/2009

Women commit crime too...

Perhaps you have seen it or read about it in the news, but recently, in my hometown a sex scandal between a teacher and a couple of students has hit the media. The teacher, who I know and who lives less than 5 minutes away from me, has been charged w/ sexual battery after being accused of having sex with two students.
There are many views that I could take on this issue. What happened between the teacher and students was obviously wrong. What I would like to point out is that it isn't always the male teacher who gets in trouble, it would seem though that they are the more likely criminal. However, I think that this might have something to do w/ the fact that we automatically would assume the male to be the criminal before we would accuse a woman of committing a crime.
Yet b/c the teacher was female, she has more than just a sex scandal on her hands. She not only broke the law, but she broke the notion of being the lesser criminal. Just something to think about...
And I thought I would share since it is so close to home...you can read the story at http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/4523225

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely think its a good thing to point out the fact that women commit crime and really heinous crimes at that. Oxygen has a great show called SNAPPED that is based on crimes committed by women.
    http://oxygen.com/tvshows/snapped/

    Who can forget Aileen Wuornos??

    Anona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the notion that we exclude women from this type of world is stupid on our part. (Not saying we as a class think this way) But the old timers in fact think that women are so sweet and innocent is falty. I don't know what to do to fix this but I'm hoping that as the generations age it will get better.


    Crystal

    ReplyDelete